Thursday, January 28, 2010

SMZX Video Converter, SCALE, PGP, and Other Such Things

A couple weeks ago I started working on my MegaZeux grayscale image converter from a couple several years ago, and extended it to do SMZX, color, and video. After re-enabling dithering, making more extensive use of histograms and other such things, I'm at a point where I can't think of much that will improve it. With that in mind, I'm releasing the (new) converter source code. Maybe somebody will be able to improve it, or at least use it in some interesting way.

I'm gonna be going to SCALE again this year. Hopefully, I'll be a bit more prepared this time around. Since there's gonna be a PGP keysigning party there and a PGP key fingerprint is one of the things you enter when registering to SCALE this year, I decided to go ahead and make myself a PGP key.

Maybe it'll come in handy some time.

In preparation for SCALE and other such things where having money will probably help (need to take a bus or other such transportation there, SCALE lasts until 9 or 10 PM each day, and the buses don't run that late, not to mention the need to eat) and for the lack of a regular job, I'm gonna try my hand at Rent A Coder and see how much money I can get from doing that.

I decided to try and crack my own Wi-Fi network using aircrack-ng to see just how vulnerable it is. Due to the DS's lack of support for WPA, I've settled on using WEP, but I've done other things like disable broadcasting of the ESSID, use a MAC whitelist, and make the subnet the Wi-Fi network uses as small as possible. airodump-ng was able to sniff out the ESSID quickly enough, and cracking the key only took a few minutes after capturing enough packets (took about an hour last night, but only took those same few minutes when my sister was watching the puppycam this afternoon.) I guess I'll see if there's any way to further secure the network while still maintaining compatibility with the DS but it doesn't look likely.

No comments: